The National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC), the largest single gathering of Catholic young people in the United States, faced several challenges as it reflected on how to best execute the mission of the National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministry (NFCYM) for the future.
Two key questions emerged:
- How can NCYC effectively engage parents in the experience of joy, hope and enthusiasm of the conference?
- How can NCYC enable youth to prepare for, deepen and sustain the NCYC experience?
MyCatholicVoice teamed with the NFCYM to conduct the first ever “Virtual Pilgrimage,” an online experience with tandem tracks for youth and adults to “Prepare, Deepen and Sustain” the event weekend. Executing this indepth program, MyCatholicVoice conducted a number of “firsts” for the conference:
- Recruiting and training Youth Reporters who chronicled their NCYC attendance to provide a multimedia online experience for parents and youth who were unable to attend NCYC in person.
- Creating an online Pilgrim Guide to outline “What is a Virtual Pilgrimage?” and “How Do I Make a Virtual Pilgrimage?”
- For each step in the Pilgrim ‘s journey, MyCatholicVoice teamed with youth ministers to provide direction to pilgrims on:
- How to Prepare
- Guidance & Direction
- Returning Home
MyCatholicVoice provided all media services for the NCYC online experience including:
- Live video streaming with moderated chat for General Sessions, key workshops, and liturgies
- Post-production for conference videos prior to the end of each day for online participants on-demand viewing and future download
- Packaging and streaming of NCYC music downloads from the conference
- Developing, creating, posting and downloading resources for each step of the Virtual Pilgrims’ journey.
- 43,276 visitors from 88 countries participated in this first-ever virtual experience of NCYC.
- For the first time, parents were able to witness the work of the Holy Spirit in their children’s lives via the live stream of conference General Sessions, concerts, and liturgies.
- All General Sessions and workshops were made available by the completion of the conference, with tens of thousands of additional downloads.
- NCYC leadership gained understanding within their ministry of a new tipping point for connecting with today’s youth.
“MyCatholicVoice challenged us to create innovative and relevant ways to communicate with the youth ministry community. By providing the most innovative virtual tools, we have greatly extended the reach of our conferences.”
– Dr. Robert McCarty, D.Min.
National Federation for Catholic Youth Ministry, Inc.